Between the world of men and transcendent divinity there exists art. Art is the will to truth made physically manifest. It is more real then Reality. It is a dialogue triumphant over Time. – Andre Malraux

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Martin L Gore of Depeche Mode

I have been a fan of of the British band Depeche Mode ever since I purchased the LP "People are People" back in 1984.  In the late 80's and early 90's I drew portraits of the band members and even illustrated some of their songs.  In 1991, I decided to draw my most ambitious portrait yet, one done on a scale of 18" x 24" and my subject was my favorite composer and songwriter, Martin Gore.  The result is the illustration you see below.
   
I had the opportunity to meet the band, Depeche Mode, in 1993 when I won front row tickets and a back stage pass to a concert they performed in Houston for the Songs of Faith and Devotion tour.  I brought the portrait below to the show along with some of those song illustrations I mentioned.  The band loved them and Martin kindly autographed his portrait for me (his signature is on the lower left).





Medium: Graphite on sketch paper
Dated: 1991
Original size: 24"x 18"

All images are ™ & © dba Albrecht Illustrations. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment