Between the world of men and transcendent divinity there exists art. Art is the will to truth made physically manifest. It is more real then Reality. It is a dialogue triumphant over Time. – Andre Malraux

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

My Technique and Materials

All my life I have been a self-taught artist with no formal or classical art training.  In high-school I took 3 years of Photography and 1 year of Commericial Art.  I went to college briefly in 1997 at the University of Houston and briefly again in 2004 at Cyfair Community College to work on my Core Curriculum that I would need to get a BFA in Fine Art, but life has a funny way of changing your plans. 

Years later, here I am taking Art classes occasionally at Austin Community College as my schedule allows. One day, once I'm done with raising my kids, I hope to go to the University of Texas to get my Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Painting. 

What follows is both my technique, approach, and list of materials and mediums that I use to create the art you see on my blog. My preferences came from both trial and error and by referral from other working professionals that I know. 

Every painting or illustration that I create starts with an Idea and Research.

An Idea: I get much of my inspiration and creativity from reading mythology, classic literature, or ancient history, listening to instrumental music, watching films, or admiring classical art.

Research: Every illustration or painting that I create is based on research. Over the years I have collected a large reference library that I use and add to every time I create a painting or illustration. I frequent my local Half Priced Books for a variety of book types: National Geographic, children's educational books, general reference, photography, ect. I also have my iPhone camera with me to capture references as I am driving around. I use models as often as possible for all my art. 

Materials: This is list of my preferences to work with by medium.

Oil Painting:

Crescent™ No. 110 & 300 Cold Press Board 
Masonite panel
Grumbacher™ Bristlette and Golden Edge series brushes
Winsor & Newton™ University Series 233 detail brushes
Winsor & Newton™ Winton Oils
Liquitex™ Matte Medium
Winsor & Newton™ Refined Linseed Oil
Mona Lisa™ Odorless Paint Thinner
Grumbacher™ Alkyd
Grumbacher™ Cobalt Drier
Grumbacher™ Damar Varnish
Grumbacher™ Brush Cleaner


Watercolor Painting:
Crescent™ No. 110 Cold Press Board 
Crescent™ No. 300 Cold Press Board
Canson™ Watercolor Cold Press Paper
Grumbacher™ Goldenedge series brushes
Grumbacher™ Finest Artists' Watercolours
Winsor & Newton™ Art Masking Fluid
Winsor & Newton™ Gum Arabic
table salt & rubbing alcohol


Other Media:
Sanford™ 0.5 & 0.7 mm mechanical pencil
Pentel™ B (Soft) Black Lead 
Design™ Ebony Jet Black Extra Smooth
Derwent ™ Graphic series pencils
Bienfang™ Parchment 100 Tracing Paper
Canson™ Vellum Paper 
Strathmore™ 400 Series Drawing Paper 
Strathmore™ Artagain™ Drawing Paper
Strathmore™ Bristol Smooth Paper
Berol Prismacolor™ Colored Pencils
Derwent™ Pastel Pencils

Pigma™ Micron Archival Inks


My Technique:  Here are a few of my works in progress which show some step by step shots as I worked.






No comments:

Post a Comment