Between the world of men and transcendent divinity there exists art. Art is the will to truth made physically manifest. It is more real then Reality. It is a dialogue triumphant over Time. – Andre Malraux

Friday, August 21, 2015

My Bio

About Me

I am a freelance illustrator based in Austin, Texas, with an emphasis on fantasy, gothic, and classical art.  My work has been featured in various publications, magazines, books, and card games.

Born in Houston, Texas in 1974 to two artistic parents, I was encouraged to follow in their footsteps.  My father was a painter and photographer while my mother had a talent for drawing still life and nature.  Growing up around NASA and the space industry, in addition to being an avid reader of literature, I cultivated an interest in both science fiction and fantasy.

I draw from influences around me and use my camera to capture references and images.  Research also plays a large role in my work as I draw inspiration from a wide variety of influences, from Greek mythology, classic literature, to Star Wars™.  My medium varies depending on the project, and I always use models whenever possible.  This fusion of real-life inspiration and classical influence culminates in my personal style of imaginative realism.


Artistic Inclinations

When I was eight years old, I snuck into my father's studio and took his set of acrylics to paint a poster of a wildlife scene that I had purchased at my school's book club.  Two years later, at the age of 10, I entered my first art show competition.  During this time, I dabbled in art theory and graphic design and was fascinated by Patrick Nagel's works, which were prolific at the time.  I also discovered the role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons and comic books like The Uncanny X-Men.  Soon, I began to draw sketches of the characters for my gaming group.


Education

In high school, I took three years of photography and one year of commercial art.  I attended the University of Houston briefly in 1997 and also studied core curriculum classes in 2004 at Cyfair Community College.  In 2011, I went back to school at Austin Community College and took some art classes.  


Art Shows & Exhibitions

In 1995, I established my own business identity, Albrecht Illustrations, and then leaped "paintbrush first" into the fantasy illustration industry.  My first Professional show was NASFIC/Dragon-Con 1995, held in Atlanta, Georgia.  Since then I have exhibited my work at these prestigious events:


  • World Horror Con
  • World Fantasy Con
  • Gen Con Milwaukee & Illinois
  • San Diego Comic Con
  • World Science Fiction & Fantasy Con






Honors, Awards, & Memberships

  • Artist Guest Of Honor, CoastCon, Biloxi, MS, 2004, 2000
  • Artist Guest, Mobicon, Mobile, AL, 2003
  • Artist Guest, OryCon, Portland, OR, 2002
  • Quarter-Finalist, L. Ron Hubbard Illustrators Of the Future Contest 1998, 1996
  • Silver Award Pro B&W, NecronomiCon, 1996
  • Gold & Silver Award Pro B&W, MadMediaCon, 1996
  • Member, ASFA: The Association Of Science Fiction and Fantasy Artists, 1996–Present

Recent Work

My artwork has been published in books, comic books, and card games.  My recent published works are:

  • Tibet: RPG, Vajra Enterprises, 2004
  • Vampire: TES Gehenna, White Wolf Publishing, 2004
  • Fates Worse Than Death, Vajra Enterprises, 2001
  • Dreams Of Decadence, DNA Publications, 1999

Early Work

My early career centered on interior images and some cover art for books.  My published works are featured in publications that include:

  • Blood for the Muse, Dark Muse Comics, 1998
  • Fractures In Rhyme, Art Against Aids, 1997
  • In Darkness Eternal, Stygian, 1997 
  • An Ancient Death Is the Most BeautifulStygian, 1997
  • Immortal, Shadowfire Press, 1997
  • Shapeshifter!, Stygian, 1996
  • Lords Of Eternal Darkness, Stygian, 1996
  • Evernight, Shadowfire Press, 1996
  • In Darkness Eternal, Stygian Vortex Publications, 1996
  • A Free Heart, Chapbook, 1995



No comments:

Post a Comment